Job Title: Director, Customer Data Strategy
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is hiring a Director, Customer Data Strategy for our Customer Information Management Department in Waltham, MA.
Data governance, management and policy is at the heart of National Grid’s customer and digital transformation. National Grid identified Data Management as one of a number of core Standards created to support National Grid's Business Management System (BMS). In support of the Data Management ambition, we have developed 7 Data Management Principles reinforced by 41 Standard Requirements that set out what needs to be in place to meet The Standard and that National Grid has (globally) committed to achieving. In addition to compliance with the BMS standards, the success of our transformational projects will all rely on clean, accurate and well managed data. This role will be responsible to develop and implement a sustainable data management framework across the Customer Domain and supporting business operations.
This Director will develop and lead a team through the strategic
assessment, design and implementation phases of the customer data
management framework. The position will collaborate with many areas
of the organization including IT to articulate the customer
data requirements and assist in defining and evaluating enterprise
tools. Responsibilities will also include adherence and input to
enterprise data management standards and a close collaboration with
the other data domain leads to assure a consistent implementation
of the framework. This individual will work very closely with
the operational leadership with in the business to assure data
quality is designed into each process and develop actionable KPI’s,
to assure compliance and create an environment of continuous
improvement. In addition, this role will be responsible for the
collaborating with business leaders on customer data policies both
internally and externally.
- Lead, own and champion data management across the
customer organization and develop a culture that embraces the value
of data quality management, as well as inspiring and engaging
others in new ways of working, innovation and performance to
enhance value and commitment.
• Manage communication and change management with stakeholders directly and indirectly impacted by data management procedures and assist stakeholders in standing up capability within their organization
• Champion the removal of cultural and other legacy barriers in the pursuit of standardized data management processes and gain stakeholder consensus with the proposed process changes through interaction with functional business leaders and demonstration of tangible business value.
• Partner with business leaders across the Customer Domain to understand their service and Product strategy in order to anticipate and meet their data needs.
• Operationalize Data Quality Management within the customer data domain
• Identity, prioritize and operationalize quick wins that demonstrate tangible business benefits to key stakeholders
• Develop framework and roadmap for compliance with NG Data Management Standard
• Develop KPIs and establish an operational framework for actively managing data quality
• Responsible for supporting operational requirements for customer data across large transformational projects
• Lead a team to identify data gaps and improvement opportunities while working collaboratively with key business stakeholders and lead team to realize measure and track improvements
• Participate in establishing process performance metrics and data KPIs to appropriately manage the future business.
• Lead, motivate and develop assigned project resources, prioritize work and allocate resources in order to ensure results are delivered in line with expectations and customer/business objectives.
• Develop and foster a culture of innovation in the end to end process, challenge existing processes, technologies and systems to continuously seek ways to do things better in order to achieve business/project objectives and drive greater efficiencies for the business.
• Collaborate and partner across the enterprise with leaders in Enterprise Data Management, all data domains, data science, regulatory, legal, compliance, enterprise risk, and information security.
• Champion policy recommendations and liaise with external stakeholders
Knowledge & Experience Requirements:
The candidate shall come from a setting where data has been leveraged as a key asset. Ideally, the candidate will have delivered transformative value via utilization of advanced but practical approaches to data management and analytics, and the integration of those approaches into operating, product/service, and customer environments. Additionally, this leader must be a transformation agent who has not only delivered but has guided organizations through the implementation plan.
- Minimum of 7-10 years proven experience leveraging
traditional technology systems as well as emerging technologies to
support the sourcing/capture, governance, management, and analysis
• Bachelors Degree in related field required. Advanced degree preferred
• Proven experience in setting up and managing Data Governance and Management organizations and frameworks, including in complex/federated/global/regulated environments
• Strong understanding of data management, database structure principles, as well as familiarity with non-relational/semantics-based data modelling and organizational techniques
• Expertise in data privacy/protection and cybersecurity with respect to data governance and management
• Experience gathering and analyzing business data requirements, including for regulatory and compliance purposes
• Experience with data management frameworks such as DCAM
• Experience leading and managing data science and analytics teams and activities, including data mining and segmentation techniques, visualization and general problem solving
• Ability to establish priorities, manage deadlines, exercise a high degree of professionalism in interactions with all levels of internal and external clients
• Proven experience at a premier audit/consulting firm and utility/financial Industry experience strongly preferred
• Proven experience in complex regulated industry environment, with actual regulatory experience preferred
• Ability to successfully bring together and drive cooperation across diverse teams with potentially conflicting goals and objectives
• Experience in leading and developing a broad team comprised of diverse expertise and skills
• Solid knowledge of project management fundamentals and change management. Requires a thorough understanding of the operations groups
• Strong MS Office suite, project management software skills
Valid driver’s license required with a safe driving history that meets National Grid’s Safe Driver policy
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
Please apply online to requisition # 11513 by clicking on this link: